Skip to main content

Finding the Rainbow in the Sugar, MY 18 MONTHS JOURNEY AS A TYPE 1


Written by Vero Kange


June 10th 2018 was quite a day. There are millions of things I can say about that day but to sum it all in one word; ANSWERS.

On that Sunday evening, at Norvik Hospital, Kampala, I learnt why I had had tingles in my legs for a while, why I was easily losing weight despite my insatiable sweet tooth, why I peed volumes of urine all the time, why I was always thirsty, why I slept all the time, everywhere, you see, for a very long time, all these things bothered me and I had all these unanswered questions lingering on my mind. Quite often, I would actually promise to take some  time off and read on the possible cause of all these weird bodily characteristics I had developed but never really got around to doing it. Yes, feel free to roll your eyes like I've done countless times since. When I finally arrived at the answers though, my oh my, was I not prepared to hear them.

Nonetheless, 10th June came, accompanied by information overload and panic, coupled with depression that followed through and just like that, a new chapter was opened. You see, the minute the doctor concluded his long speech on insulin requirements, delivering shots to myself, nutritional discipline, risks that come with hypoglycaemia, hyperglycaemia, the need to administer finger pricks more than once a day, Goooooooooosh!!!!!!!!!! My brain was locked on one fact, Death.

Diabetes Mellitus (DM) is scary, and not only because it’s a serious disease with a cocktail of scary complications, but because of the financial implications, discipline and commitment required to manage the condition.  It's especially scary when you're in the prime of your life, young, ambitious, energetic and suddenly get such a shocking diagnosis that stops you in your tracks.


The situation is further complicated by the high levels of misinformation, myths and false beliefs about diabetes within our societies and communities. I had to quickly learn to deal with the  purveyors of herbal remedies- these ones are quick to recommend all types of roots, stems and concoctions apparently known to cure diabetes, while the miracle workers-will send you to all the Men of God in all districts, the ones that are quick to blame the victims for taking too much sugar over the years,  the pity parties- 🙅💀😩, Christ lord....people should learn some sensitivity! It’s enough dealing with the reality of your new normal, now imagine having to justify yourself to everyone in addition to doing your own personal research on the topic and having to change all the misconceptions while at it… Not funny at all!

Thank God for the sunshine overload that lies within me, I choose to think that God prepared me for the DM journey way before we found it. For some strange reason, I had been exercising a lot since Sep 2013, I had picked an interest in healthy eating habits, but most importantly, I had walked through a breast cancer scare in October 2017 which had taught me that everything starts and ends with the brain. I have learnt that if you learn to control your brain, you can conquer almost anything, that as a Diabetic, my support system draws all its vibe off me, this means that when I am positive about the condition, my support system stays positive, when I don’t cry about the pricks, the blood, the injections, the green meals, then my environment perceives the idea lightly with less weight so I worked on my brain, I chose positivity and with that, I was armed, I was ready and well, the support system was eagerly waiting. Together, we have learnt, unlearned and we re-learned. We continue to.


Enough with the sad stuff, this article is intentionally titled! Yes it is, you see, I am wired to find the rainbow in the storm 🌈, it’s simply who I am and well, if I was going to continue being the smiley happy Kange that everyone had grown accustomed to, with a needle detail of course, I had to find the rainbow in the sugar or the silver lining in the cloud, and yes, I did. There are very many days when am almost grateful for it, the lessons are immense and trust me when I say that DM is a gift that keeps giving.


The greatest lesson of them all has been discipline.  You see, discipline is a must have for all humans. We fail at very many things because we lack discipline. That diet plan that you continually slack on, that addiction you have failed to beat, that dream that you have failed to achieve, discipline has something to do with it. With DM, you have a constant motivational weapon at your disposal, you learn to constantly ask the question; is it worth it, is it worth the lazy feel that follows a hyper, is it worth the potential complications, is it? And just like that, u will choose a boiled egg over the samosas, you will learn to eat your vegetables, you will stay on the right path for most days because you will find that it’s normally not worth it.

And with discipline comes motivation, motivation to do what is right, motivation to take care of you, motivation to make constant good decisions. People wonder what motivates me to work out as much as I do, what keeps me eating as I do, how I pick my plate at the serving table and walk past the rice, the Irish, the matooke, and pick me some pumpkin, vegetables and salads and it’s a wrap. No science to it, I have one little secret, sugar!

So guess what, with healthy eating comes good radiant skin (ladies pay millions for that) good weight management, general well-being and a constant healthy feeling. A disciplined diabetic is the healthy eating threshold that "basawo" or doctors talk about, keep around one and what wonderful changes you will experience.

Not that it’s all merry, those tough days have a way of showing up, so you give yourself what I call the diabetic break, you misbehave, forget yourself for a minute and live crazy, its only human but again, the annoying tired lazy feeling has a way of putting you back in order. I guess the take away is that whereas we are allowed to be human, we must do so in moderation, everyone should but for the diabetic, you must. 


So for me, I choose to look beyond the pricks, I wake up every day and look forward to do the right thing not because sugar requires me to, but because I will look good while at it, I choose to live a limitless life because I am aware that on that 10th day of June, 2018 with the kind of sugar reading I had, I could have died but I didn’t. I take those long walks, I attend those aerobic classes, not only because I need to control my sugar but because I want to be a hot 70 year old someday.

Diabetes is simply a small detail about me, it’s not the reason but rather the fuel that runs this engine. Like my Doctor says, Type 1s aren’t sick, we are only disabled on the inside.

With love
Kange,
 T1 Soldier.

Comments

  1. I am here to appreciate Dr OGU for using his herbal medicine to cure my Herpes virus. Is about 2 years and 6 months now I have been living with this virus and it has been a serious problem to me, I was so confused cause i have been taking several drugs to be cured but all of my effort was in vain,one morning i was browsing through the internet then i saw several testimonies about Dr. OGU curing people from Herpes virus and immediately i contacted Dr. on his email: drogugusolutionhome@gmail.com , i told him about my troubles and he told me that i must be cured, he gave me some instructions and which i rightly followed. so he prepared a herbal medicine and sent it to me via DHL which i used for 2 weeks and i was cured everything was like a dream to me and my Herpes virus was totally gone, dr .OGU , God bless you and give you more power and ability for more cures.i dont know if there is any one out there suffering for herpes virus or any of these diseases.. DIABETES, CANCER,GENITAL AND SIMPLEX HERPES,LOW SPERMS COUNT, SYPHILIS, HIV/AIDS, FIBRIOD,COPD,MENINGITIES,HEPATITIES B [HBV] DISEASES .etc why don't you contact dr.Ogu today and be free from your diseases because he is very good and honest Doctor. contact him via email; drogugusolutionhome@gmail.com or text/call: +1 (719) 629 0982

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Recommended post

The "Olayemi" Project: The AfDA Emergency Medical Information Card

The AfDA Emergency Medical information cards   The year was 2020 and the world was in the throes of a global pandemic known as the Covid-19 pandemic. Our WhatsApp support group was growing as the world went digital, and people tried to find information and support to navigate through a scary time. Word on the street was that people living with Diabetes had the highest risk of dying from this new, unknown threat. Countries locked down and many things came to a standstill, even though our very real needs for food, medicine, connection and life kept on knocking. As we shared our challenges with navigating this new normal, one of our new members, Olayemi, told us that as he tried to travel in order buy insulin, he had met police who had searched him, found his insulin and syringes, and believing that they were illegal drugs, had confiscated them, and locked him in prison with no interest in listening to his pleas. Fortunately, they had let him go the next day and he informed us of his orde

Doing medicine to be able to disarm diabetes in my life and my community

Written by   Benjamin Mafale from Zambia My name is Benjamin, a 19 year old type 1 diabetes patient living in Zambia. I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in mid-2016 at the age of 15. I came to know about my condition when I was in grade 11 in boarding at Kalomo secondary school. My experience started suddenly with some presentations of type 1 diabetes. In the unknown early symptoms of my condition polyuria (frequent urination), dehydration, extreme hunger and loss of weight. During that period, blood tests were carried out and when the results came out it was positive hyperglycemic (+++). This contributed to admission in the hospital for about 7 days for further investigations and monitoring of my blood sugars. While in the hospital I made some approach on diabetes management and got a nutritionist for diet advice. Later on after being advised on how to manage my condition with diet, medications and other ways, I was discharged to go home. Though it was something ne

Diagnosed with type 2 diabetes at the age of 26 was shocking

Written by Sharon Atim Before diagnosis I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes on February 27, 2013 at the tender age of 26. My immediate response was shock because until that day,  there was no one with diabetes  in my family. I'm still the only person living with it. Secondly, I did not know type 2 diabetes happened to people in their 20s when I was diagnosed. I thought it was something you got when you were a senior citizen over 60, so I felt alone for a while. I am sharing my story in the hope that someone out there will know that they are not the only ones going through this. I remember crying myself to sleep on many occasions asking myself how this monster disease could befall me; but I hope that I  can give someone else the comfort and courage they need, that I needed too, to keep fighting, for there is still so much they can do with their lives. My blood sugar was 27 mmol/L when I gained admission. I had blurred vision, frequent thirst and urination, I had lost