Skip to main content

IDF AFRICA PEER EDUCATORS TRAINING; PLANNING AND MANAGEMENT IN DIABETES EDUCATION


PART ONE; RESEARCH, MONITORING, AND EVALUATION



The question of WHY is what separates the wise from the foolish, and this is why it is necessary to carry out research, to answer a particular question, and to understand observations.  Research should be;

  • *      Objective
  • *      Methodical and
  • *      Systematic.

Research can be of three types; quantitative in which one measures the what, qualitative in which one tries to find out why, or mixed methods in which the researchers want to know both the what and the why. It is only when you ask yourself the question WHY that you can start on the research journey. The research done must be scientific and fact-filled to avoid misleading information. 

When the research process is over, it is important to share the information to give back through knowledge sharing. In this, monitoring and evaluation are crucial as the researcher needs to find out the impact and obtain feedback about the research. This helps both the audience and the researcher to know what went well and whether the research was beneficial or not. Evaluation is also important to know how the treatment is proceeding and if the research was a success.

Peer educators can educate their peers through research, monitoring, and evaluation.

 Join us to disarm diabetes daily.


Comments

Recommended post

Doing medicine to be able to disarm diabetes in my life and my community

Written by   Benjamin Mafale from Zambia My name is Benjamin, a 19 year old type 1 diabetes patient living in Zambia. I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in mid-2016 at the age of 15. I came to know about my condition when I was in grade 11 in boarding at Kalomo secondary school. My experience started suddenly with some presentations of type 1 diabetes. In the unknown early symptoms of my condition polyuria (frequent urination), dehydration, extreme hunger and loss of weight. During that period, blood tests were carried out and when the results came out it was positive hyperglycemic (+++). This contributed to admission in the hospital for about 7 days for further investigations and monitoring of my blood sugars. While in the hospital I made some approach on diabetes management and got a nutritionist for diet advice. Later on after being advised on how to manage my condition with diet, medications and other ways, I was discharged to go home. Though it was somethin...

The power of family support and dia-buddy friendships in easing diabetes management

Written by Sewanyana Rodney Alex November is diabetes awareness month and the theme this year is "The Family and Diabetes." As I tell you my story of living with type 1 diabetes, I hope you can tell how big of an influence family can have on how patients manage their diabetes and appreciate that our fellow diabetes warriors are a family as well. Facilitating an ice breaker session at an education class organised by Africa Diabetes Alliance 1 st November 2019 marked exactly 2 years since I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. At diagnosis, I didn’t have knowledge or any idea what I was going to have to deal with for the rest of my life. I remember the nurses trying to teach me the basic steps of managing diabetes which included which foods to eat, how to exercise and the amount of insulin I needed to survive for another day. However, the way the nurses were referencing each other, it was evident that they were sharing some hazy information. Being the new kid on...
  WHERE DIABETES SUPPLIES ARE EXPENSIVE MORE THAN LIFE   In Kenya, Nairobi city 4-year-old Nathania wakes up before sunrise. While other children prepare for school, her first task each day is survival through testing her blood sugar levels, injecting insulin given her beta cells are unable to perform normal duties. Nathania has lived with Type 1 Diabetes (T1D) since she was 1 year of age . To stay alive, she needs insulin, a glucometer, test strips, and needles/syringes — but these are luxuries in her world. Her family travels for 20.7kilometers, about 1hour to using public means the nearest clinic with doctors that are trained specialists for children with diabetes , and some of the supplies are free, although some are often out of stock such as insulin. Sometimes it doesn’t arrive for weeks. When it does, it is not enough for everyone who visits the clinic — if we buy over the counter, it cost more than most of the parents earn in a month. Without refrigerati...