Skip to main content

IDF AFRICA PEER EDUCATORS TRAINING; PLANNING AND MANAGEMENT IN DIABETES EDUCATION


PART ONE; RESEARCH, MONITORING, AND EVALUATION



The question of WHY is what separates the wise from the foolish, and this is why it is necessary to carry out research, to answer a particular question, and to understand observations.  Research should be;

  • *      Objective
  • *      Methodical and
  • *      Systematic.

Research can be of three types; quantitative in which one measures the what, qualitative in which one tries to find out why, or mixed methods in which the researchers want to know both the what and the why. It is only when you ask yourself the question WHY that you can start on the research journey. The research done must be scientific and fact-filled to avoid misleading information. 

When the research process is over, it is important to share the information to give back through knowledge sharing. In this, monitoring and evaluation are crucial as the researcher needs to find out the impact and obtain feedback about the research. This helps both the audience and the researcher to know what went well and whether the research was beneficial or not. Evaluation is also important to know how the treatment is proceeding and if the research was a success.

Peer educators can educate their peers through research, monitoring, and evaluation.

 Join us to disarm diabetes daily.


Comments

Recommended post

The "Olayemi" Project: The AfDA Emergency Medical Information Card

The AfDA Emergency Medical information cards   The year was 2020 and the world was in the throes of a global pandemic known as the Covid-19 pandemic. Our WhatsApp support group was growing as the world went digital, and people tried to find information and support to navigate through a scary time. Word on the street was that people living with Diabetes had the highest risk of dying from this new, unknown threat. Countries locked down and many things came to a standstill, even though our very real needs for food, medicine, connection and life kept on knocking. As we shared our challenges with navigating this new normal, one of our new members, Olayemi, told us that as he tried to travel in order buy insulin, he had met police who had searched him, found his insulin and syringes, and believing that they were illegal drugs, had confiscated them, and locked him in prison with no interest in listening to his pleas. Fortunately, they had let him go the next day and he informed us of his orde

Doing medicine to be able to disarm diabetes in my life and my community

Written by   Benjamin Mafale from Zambia My name is Benjamin, a 19 year old type 1 diabetes patient living in Zambia. I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in mid-2016 at the age of 15. I came to know about my condition when I was in grade 11 in boarding at Kalomo secondary school. My experience started suddenly with some presentations of type 1 diabetes. In the unknown early symptoms of my condition polyuria (frequent urination), dehydration, extreme hunger and loss of weight. During that period, blood tests were carried out and when the results came out it was positive hyperglycemic (+++). This contributed to admission in the hospital for about 7 days for further investigations and monitoring of my blood sugars. While in the hospital I made some approach on diabetes management and got a nutritionist for diet advice. Later on after being advised on how to manage my condition with diet, medications and other ways, I was discharged to go home. Though it was something ne

Diagnosed with type 2 diabetes at the age of 26 was shocking

Written by Sharon Atim Before diagnosis I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes on February 27, 2013 at the tender age of 26. My immediate response was shock because until that day,  there was no one with diabetes  in my family. I'm still the only person living with it. Secondly, I did not know type 2 diabetes happened to people in their 20s when I was diagnosed. I thought it was something you got when you were a senior citizen over 60, so I felt alone for a while. I am sharing my story in the hope that someone out there will know that they are not the only ones going through this. I remember crying myself to sleep on many occasions asking myself how this monster disease could befall me; but I hope that I  can give someone else the comfort and courage they need, that I needed too, to keep fighting, for there is still so much they can do with their lives. My blood sugar was 27 mmol/L when I gained admission. I had blurred vision, frequent thirst and urination, I had lost