Skip to main content

FRIO Insulin Cooling Wallets: A game changer for insulin safety

Mrs. Annie Baganzi handing over 14 Frio insulin colling wallets to Dr. Catherine N.at Nsambya Hospital

Kindly allow me to explain the value of the Frio insulin cooking wallets by taking you back to high school biology. When the food we eat is digested, any carbohydrates consumed are digested or broken down into glucose within the digestive system. The glucose is then absorbed into the bloodstream for distribution to the body cells that need it to provide energy. Insulin is a hormone that functions to facilitate glucose uptake from the blood into the body cells. Without insulin, this process breaks down, causing high blood sugars, a classic symptom of Diabetes Mellitus (DM). Injecting insulin is one of the therapies for managing DM.

Being protein in nature, insulin needs to be produced, transported, stored and generally maintained under strict temperature control to retain its functionality and effectiveness. The recommended temperature for storage and transport of insulin is between 2–8°C, while the temperature while in use is recommended to be below room temperature which is less than 30°C as recommended by the East Africa Diabetes Study Group (EADSG) in a published study.

As temperatures rise due to climate change, it gets difficult to keep insulin in use safely below 30°C in our hot environments. Frio insulin cooling wallets are an innovative technology solution that uses gel crystals which absorb water, swell and compact it such that the liquid cannot escape. This way, the crystals form a gel that holds onto the water longer as it evaporates very slowly. This keeps the temperature cool longer, typically between 18 and 26°C for a minimum of 45 hours even in hot environments like we have in many parts of Africa. More information on the Frio insulin cooling wallets can be found here.

The best part about this innovation is that it keeps insulin safe, without needing to dunk it into bottles of water or next to ice, which can be dangerous for insulin users. The water is gelled within the crystals and therefore does not directly contact the medicine. This is recommended because storing insulin that is in use on ice or water often causes dilution and contamination and has been found to be a contributor to development of abscesses and lipohypertrophy.

The Frio packs in the picture above were donated on 10th June 2023 by Ms. Cynthia Tysick of the University of Buffalo in New York alongside friends and well wishers, and facilitated by FRIO, who gave a whopping 40% discount to enable 40 individuals in Gulu and Kampala districts to get them. We are so very grateful for this life-changing innovation and look forward to a future where all people living with diabetes in Africa can access such valuable technologies.


References

  1. Bahendeka, S., Kaushik, R., Swai, A.B. et al. EADSG Guidelines: Insulin Storage and Optimisation of Injection Technique in Diabetes Management. Diabetes Ther 10, 341–366 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1007/s13300-019-0574-x
  2. What temperature does the FRIO maintain accessed at https://friouk.com/faq-items/how-long-is-in-use-insulin-safe-in-a-frio-when-do-i-top-upre-activate-my-frio/ on 24/08/2023.

Comments

Recommended post

Diagnosed with type 2 diabetes at the age of 26 was shocking

Written by Sharon Atim Before diagnosis I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes on February 27, 2013 at the tender age of 26. My immediate response was shock because until that day,  there was no one with diabetes  in my family. I'm still the only person living with it. Secondly, I did not know type 2 diabetes happened to people in their 20s when I was diagnosed. I thought it was something you got when you were a senior citizen over 60, so I felt alone for a while. I am sharing my story in the hope that someone out there will know that they are not the only ones going through this. I remember crying myself to sleep on many occasions asking myself how this monster disease could befall me; but I hope that I  can give someone else the comfort and courage they need, that I needed too, to keep fighting, for there is still so much they can do with their lives. My blood sugar was 27 mmol/L when I gained admission. I had blurred vision, frequent thirst and urination, ...

Doing medicine to be able to disarm diabetes in my life and my community

Written by   Benjamin Mafale from Zambia My name is Benjamin, a 19 year old type 1 diabetes patient living in Zambia. I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in mid-2016 at the age of 15. I came to know about my condition when I was in grade 11 in boarding at Kalomo secondary school. My experience started suddenly with some presentations of type 1 diabetes. In the unknown early symptoms of my condition polyuria (frequent urination), dehydration, extreme hunger and loss of weight. During that period, blood tests were carried out and when the results came out it was positive hyperglycemic (+++). This contributed to admission in the hospital for about 7 days for further investigations and monitoring of my blood sugars. While in the hospital I made some approach on diabetes management and got a nutritionist for diet advice. Later on after being advised on how to manage my condition with diet, medications and other ways, I was discharged to go home. Though it was somethin...
  WHERE DIABETES SUPPLIES ARE EXPENSIVE MORE THAN LIFE   In Kenya, Nairobi city 4-year-old Nathania wakes up before sunrise. While other children prepare for school, her first task each day is survival through testing her blood sugar levels, injecting insulin given her beta cells are unable to perform normal duties. Nathania has lived with Type 1 Diabetes (T1D) since she was 1 year of age . To stay alive, she needs insulin, a glucometer, test strips, and needles/syringes — but these are luxuries in her world. Her family travels for 20.7kilometers, about 1hour to using public means the nearest clinic with doctors that are trained specialists for children with diabetes , and some of the supplies are free, although some are often out of stock such as insulin. Sometimes it doesn’t arrive for weeks. When it does, it is not enough for everyone who visits the clinic — if we buy over the counter, it cost more than most of the parents earn in a month. Without refrigerati...